Best Office Chair for Back Support
We spend a lot of time at work, and one thing is for sure – the chair you use each day can make a huge difference in your comfort level (and sanity). To assist you in searching for the perfect office chair, we have compiled the Ultimate Chair Checklist:
1. SupportLook for a chair designed with proper lumbar support that allows for good posture in people of all sizes. Also, ensure armrests are connected to the chair’s backrest so they move with you when you recline.
2. Ease of UseLook for a chair that you can customize to your body without having to read the War and Peace of instruction manuals. The easier it is to make adjustments, the closer you’ll get to a perfect fit. You should only need to modify the following areas:
- Chair Height – your thighs should be parallel to the floor with your feet flat on the floor or a footrest.
- Seat Pan Depth – maintain two inches of clearance between the back of your knees and the front edge of the seat.
- Armrest Height – position your work surface about an inch below your rested elbow height, allowing your shoulders to relax. Rest your palms – not your wrists – on a palm support.
3. Ease of MovementOnce you’ve achieved a comfortable, supportive position, make sure you’re not stuck there! Different tasks call for different degrees of recline, so be sure you can easily adjust your backrest. HINT: More levers = more problems. Self-recline and intuitive movement are your best bets.
4. ProductivityPoor posture and lack of movement cause musculoskeletal pain, and pain depletes your body of the energy needed to climb that corporate ladder.
Whether you’re close to investing in a new seat or just dipping your toe in with some casual test sitting, drop us a line below or tweet us @Humanscale with the hashtag #AskHumanscale if you have any questions.